The Central Front: D+0 (9 July, 1987) 1200-2359 Part I**


Through the course of the afternoon the covering force battles raged on.  No Soviet breakthroughs came, although pressure was beginning to build up in some sectors, namely in the NORTHAG area and to the north of it. The role of the NATO covering forces was to buy time for the main forces behind them to deploy and prepare. When mobilization  had commenced days earlier, the movement of forces from kasernes to their assigned defensive positions. Regrettably, in some sectors the pace of unit movement more closely resembled a slow crawl while in other sectors units moved quicker and were close to being fully manned and deployed by the time hostilities began. Divisions in CENTAG fell into this column, and their NORTHAG counterparts the former with the notable exception of the British Army of the Rhine.

NATO had anticipated such a scenario and worked revisions into the latest concept of operations for corps and their assigned army groups. An excellent example of this was found in the changes made to the I Netherlands Corps covering force TO&E in 1985. The bulk of the its men and equipment were positioned in the Netherlands even though it came under NORTHAG’s command.  During a time of emergency the Holland-based units would move into West Germany and join the rest of the corps. Recognizing that this situation likely meant the corps would need additional time to mobilize and move, the size of its covering force was increased considerably. On 9 July, 1987 it comprised the Dutch 103rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 41st Armored Brigade, German 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, and the US 3rd Brigade/2nd Armored Division (FWD). This grouping of units was a covering force on steroids for the most part and placed under the  nominal command of the German 3rd Panzer Division. Its coverage area stretched from the Inner German Border west to the Elbe Lateral Canal. NATO planners expected this force to fight a delaying action there for 24 hours in order for the forces in I Netherlands Corps ( Note: this formation will be referred to as I NL Corps for the duration of this blog) sector to finish deploying to their battle positions.

While its covering force was holding firm after fighting two regiments of the 21st Motor Rifle Division to a standstill in the morning and afternoon, I NL Corps was hastily recovering from the devastating Spetsnaz raid on its forward HQ before dawn. A group of Soviet commandos dressed in Dutch Army uniforms had penetrated the perimeter of the corps field headquarters and attacked the command post, killing the corps commander and severely wounding the deputy. None of the attackers survived the effort, but this was of little consolation. The damage was done. I NL Corps leadership had been decapitated at the worst possible time. The command structure was reorganized as fast as events allowed. By 1000 the commander of the 1st Division had assumed command of the corps and was actively directing the battle.

North of I NL Corps, NATO forces positioned north and east of Hamburg were enduring a determined push by elements of the 2nd Guards Tank Army. In this sector of the line allied forces were under the command of LANDJUT, not NORTHAG. Soviet forces were moving northwest and west from the Inner German Border against West German and Danish forces, and making headway. Lubeck would fall by dusk and  the main axis of the Soviet’s initial advance showed signs of focusing near Mölln, indicating the 2nd Guards Tank Army could swing south of Hamburg, isolating the city and everything north of it from the rest of the Federal Republic. This prospect was causing concern at NORTHAG headquarters, as well as Brussels. A successful south swing by the bulk of 2nd GTA (Note: this formation will be referred to as 2nd GTA for the duration of this blog) would threaten the left flank of NORTHAG as well as indicate Schleswig-Holstein and Denmark as the objective for follow-on Polish and Soviet Northern Group of Forces divisions.

South of I NL Corps, the covering force battles in the I German Corps (I GE Corps), I British Corps (I BR Corps), and I Belgian Corps (I BE Corps) areas continued. Heavy casualties were being inflicted on the Soviet first echelons, however, it was coming at a price. Losses in the covering forces were building as the afternoon drew on. All three corps commanders hoped to wait until the cover of night to hand the battle off from their respective covering forces to the main forces. Given the emerging situations of each individual corps though, it wasn’t always a realistic option.

The Belgians were under the heaviest pressure. On his own, the I BE Corps commander ordered his forward forces to begin pulling back at 1630. The Belgians were facing a similar dilemma to that of the Dutch farther north. The entirety of the I BE Corps was not yet fully in the field and more time was needed before that task was completed. The premature disengagement of its forward elements put the corps commander in a bind. In order to buy more time for his main force, and to prevent his covering force from being overrun and smashed, he requested as much air support as was available to cover the withdrawal. 2nd ATAF , its resources already stretched thin, allocated two squadrons of ground attack fighters to the effort and made a desperate request to 4th ATAF for help, which was given in the form of A-10 Thunderbolt IIs and a mixed force of F-15s and F-16s flying top cover and support.

The British and Germans opted to wait until nightfall to begin the withdrawals of their covering forces. They’d fought the first echelons of the 3rd Shock Army to a bloody standstill. The afternoon became early evening and all that appeared in the east were signs of Soviet BRDMs and other reconnaissance vehicles prowling and searching for the next line of  NATO defensive positions. The movement of the recon elements seemed hesitant, and even pained to an extent. British and German commanders passed their reports and observations up the line, unsure what to make of them.

It was not until these reports reached Brussels that SACEUR and his staff were able to connect the dots. The slow movement of follow up forces in 3rd Shock Army’s area, combined with other reports of strange happenings in front of CENTAG forces that will be discussed in Part II, led SACEUR to conclude these events were directly connected to the results of the early morning F-117 strikes. The Soviets, General Galvin suspected, had been hurt far worse than they were letting on.



3 Replies to “The Central Front: D+0 (9 July, 1987) 1200-2359 Part I**”

  1. Sir….just a note for future revision. The NORTHAG US brigade’s correct designation was 3rd Brigade, 2AD and also known as 2AD(FWD). Great series….keep up the great writing!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Mark, I believe from reading other comments you were in 2AD (Fwd) and was hoping you could answer a couple of questions that have arisen during my research for a wargame campaign I am planning based on this blog. Firstly I have read several sources that state 4/41 Inf were replaced by 3/66 Armour as part of the COHORT system but when? I have some sources state 1987 and some 1988? Secondly another source (in German) seems to suggest that 2AD (Fwd) had M113ACAV as well as M113A3. Would you know if this is correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Richard

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: