The Central Front: D+0 (9 July, 1987) 1200-2359 Part II**


CENTAG was an army group blessed with some inherent advantages. It’s formations were made up of some of NATO’s best trained, and equipped divisions. The divisions making up the US V and VII Corps, as well as the West German II and III Corps, contained well-trained, and motivated officers, NCOs and soldiers. Their equipment was second to none, in most cases the best that the United States and West Germany were capable of producing.

As if this weren’t advantage enough, CENTAG was also charged with guarding the central and southern regions of the Federal Republic. These areas were largely made up of valleys, hills, mountains, and other types of defensible terrain, supplemented by a first class transportation network expected to make the movement of units and supplies flow smoothly in a time of war. The Soviet and Warsaw Pact forces facing CENTAG across the border were also well-equipped and trained, but the main Soviet/WP effort in a war would come against NORTHAG farther north. This was not to say the danger facing CENTAG was trivial, or minimized.  III West German Corps defended the vital seam between the two NATO army groups, an area expected to receive significant Soviet pressure. To its south, the US V Corps protected the gate to Frankfurt, and beyond it the Rhine. If the Soviets had any significant success in either area it could be catastrophic to the overall NATO plan for the defense of West Germany.

When the first units from the 8th Guards Army crossed the frontier, CENTAG’s covering forces were deployed in close proximity to the border to meet them, spread out in small, but powerful clusters and supported by air and artillery support. Engagements erupted at once and carried on through the early afternoon and beyond. By 1500,  the  eastern entrances to the Fulda Gap and Hof Corridor resembled high-tech junkyards, littered with the burning hulks of dozens of tanks and armored vehicles, the overwhelming majority of which were Soviet. The initial thrusts had been stopped with a minimal loss of West Germany territory. Elements of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment fought two regiments of the 57th Guards Motor Rifle Division to a bloody standstill before Gersfeld. Similar situations were being reported near Hof, where the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment was positioned as VII Corps covering force.

–  –  –

The second echelon Soviet regiments were expected to begin moving forward by 1700, however that didn’t happen. NATO air attacks, communications jamming, and the leadership crisis earlier in the day were taking their toll on 8th Guards Army. The pace of the general Soviet offensive was falling farther behind schedule, a fact not lost on higher headquarters. General Snetkov had chosen replacements for the fallen army group commanders and installed them, and their staffs by late afternoon.  Considering the fact that he also had an offensive to run at the same time, it was no surprise that the process took so long.

Dusk grew closer and Snetkov was haranguing his air commanders on the importance of air superiority over the battle line and rear areas. NATO air forces had displayed an alarming competency for night fighting. So much so that if the second night of the war went anything like the first one had, NATO airpower would be on the cusp of controlling the night skies over the Central Front.

Next, Snetkov informed his newly minted ground commanders that he would tolerate no major delays in resuming forward progress once they were adjusted and had assumed full command of their army groups. He cautioned them sharply about the dangers of remaining stationary for too long at night. However, he need not have bothered. The fates of their predecessors had made an impression that would not be washed away anytime soon. Coordinating and issuing orders was not a simple task when mobile in command vehicles, yet it was the best option until the alternate command posts were up and functioning.


As darkness fell, a brief lull set in over theater before NATO covering forces began withdrawing from forward positions and passing through friendly lines. At 2200 NATO strike fighters went back into action flying offensive counter air missions against airfields in East Germany and Czechoslovakia, and interdiction strikes against targets deeper in the Warsaw Pact rear. The attacks were made mostly by US F-111s, Luftwaffe and RAF Tornados in the first part of the evening. As midnight approached, the F-117 stealth fighters were added to the mix,  make their second appearances over the GDR in twenty four hours. Rumors of  the aircraft’s stealth capability -real and imagined- had been making their through Soviet and WP air defense units like wildfire all day.

And so ended the first day of hostilities on the Central Front.



2 Replies to “The Central Front: D+0 (9 July, 1987) 1200-2359 Part II**”

  1. I wonder how long the Soviets, in this scenario, will tolerate slowdowns and stoppages before they deploy nuclear weapons to break up NATO defense-in-depth positions…

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Great question. That’s one reason why the timetables and schedules were so important to them. Every hour of delay meant more time for NATO to reinforce, replace losses and/or resupply. As for what happens in this scenario, you’ll find out soon. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: